Let’s be honest, some days the words just don’t flow – at least not as effortlessly as we’d like. Writer’s block is no joke when you’ve got deadlines. Talk about some serious amounts of stress. So what’s a desperate writer or blogger to do? Two words: coffee shop. Yip, a little cliche, I know – but hear me out…
It’s just no good. When your brain zens out for a bit, it’s usually a sign that a PROPER break is in order.
I know, I know… that’s probably the last thing you want to do when you’re short on time and super amped to publish a blog post. But, it really helps spark those creative vibes. This post is proof of that!
BLOGGING AND COFFEE SHOPS
Sitting at your computer and getting all worked up is not going to do you any favours, trust me.
So my advice? Take a few deep breaths, put your shades on – or a pop of lipstick (or whatever gets you into your happy space and ready to face the world) – and head to your favourite coffee shop… or, go a little crazy and try a new one!
Why not just drink coffee at work or at home, you ask?
Simple: a change of scenery. There’s a reason bloggers, writers and creative beings flock to coffee shops.
Plus, can you really resist all those heavenly coffee aromas or the coolness of a buzzing (or chilled out) coffee shop?
Coz I can’t.
MY COFFEE SHOP EXPERIENCE
For the last few years I’ve been a little obsessed with trying new coffee shops. But, I’ve always made excuses to NOT venture out on my own. Because, comfort zones. Since I’ve decided to change all that this year, there’s no more of that. Yesterday I took myself to The Daily and ordered a decaf cappuccino with soy milk… yep, they have dairy-free milk – hallalooya.
Anyway… As I sat there looking at all the New York City posters and daydreaming wistfully about my next big city adventure, I started to notice something.
My brain was chilled.
All the overwhelming feelings disappeared and were replaced by a sense of wonder, happiness, and excitement to just get creative again. As my eyes scanned the room going from cake display to people watching to gazing into my cup of cappuccino, my mind came alive with ideas again.
AMAZING. You stop forcing and start flowing and magic happens!
If you ever find yourself “stuck” for blog topics or writing ideas, go somewhere that makes your heart smile.
Maybe it’s not a coffee shop, maybe nature is more your thing. Or the library? What about a wine farm? Maybe, even just sitting at your local park. Bottom line? Just go somewhere that makes you HAPPY.
100 BLOG POST IDEAS…
I leave you with this and I hope it inspires you to break through your next”blogging block“… Here are my 100 blog topics from yesterday’s coffee shop mission…
- Dairy-free coffee
- Vegan cakes
- Top cupcake sellers
- 10 Types of cheesecakes
- How to run a coffee shop
- How much money does it cost to buy a coffee shop?
- Top pastries
- New coffee flavours
- Coffee vs. tea
- Health benefits of coffee
- Health benefits of tea
- Peak time at coffee shops
- Music for coffee shops
- Music for writing
- Coffee shop decor
- How often should you change your menu?
- Ethically-sourced coffee
- Different types of coffee
- Best coffee spots in Cape Town
- Best coffee spots in Stellenbosch and surrounds
- Coffee culture in 2017
- Should WIFI in coffee shops be mandatory?
- How to work a full day at a coffee shop
- Types of people who work in coffee shops
- People watching in coffee shops
- Conversations in coffee shops
- Cappuccinos vs. lattes
- Top 5 ordered cakes
- Coffee and cake pairing
- How many people visit a coffee shop in a day?
- How profitable is a coffee shop?
- Ways a coffee shop can stand out
- Coffee shop furniture
- Modern coffee shop decor
- Country coffee shop decor
- Minimalist coffee shop decor
- Best types of wood for tables and chairs
- How to design a menu
- Should your menu change from season to season?
- Dietary options on menus and what to charge
- Menu formatting and imagery
- Should coffee shops have a blog?
- Coffee shop websites
- Coffee shop social media
- What it takes to manage a coffee shop
- How to pick the right employees for a coffee shop
- What training is involved for working at a coffee shop?
- Celebrities’ favourite coffee hangouts
- Average time people spend in a coffee shop
- Why don’t more coffee shops have dairy-free options?
- Journalling and coffee
- How to find more time to blog
- Can you blog on your phone?
- Dictaphone blogging
- Top SA bloggers
- The rise of blogging over the last five years
- How to write a blog post in 30 minutes
- Types of bloggers
- How to spot a blogger
- Careers in writing
- What to know about freelance writing
- How much can you earn freelance writing?
- Freelance careers
- Remote work in the 21st century
- How to convince your boss to work remotely a few days a week
- Why more companies should outsource
- Why more companies should hire freelancers
- How to plan your day as a freelancer
- Working on the go
- Working and travel
- What’s the fascination with New York?
- How much would I need to save to travel in two years’ time?
- How to travel to NYC on a budget
- Top 10 things to do in NYC that aren’t touristy
- Best vegan spots in New York
- How many steps is it across the whole of Central Park?
- Why was FRIENDS filmed in Los Angels and not New York City?
- Best views of NYC
- Best way to spend a day in New York
- Cheapest ways to travel around NY
- Unwritten rules of subway rides
- How to avoid being mugged in NYC
- Best apps for travelling
- Why you only need a carry on bag
- What to pack in your carry on bag
- Essentials for overnight flying
- How to keep your skin fresh on an overnight flight
- How to waste time at a long layover
- Things you didn’t know about at major airports
- Best snacks to pack for holiday travels
- Best time of year to travel
- How to save for an overseas holiday
- Best local spots to travel to
- How to enjoy a staycation
- What is a staycation
- Why everyone needs at least one staycation a year
- Winter weekend getaways
- Budget getaways
- Road trip music
- One day road trip ideas
Happy blogging! x
GET INSPIRED EVERY SUNDAY
Every week I send out a “Sunday Letter” with some digital/planning tips, words of motivation for the week ahead, and some personal insights or lessons I’ve learnt along my creative journey.
When you sign up, you’ll receive a FREE Digital Goodie Pack containing:
- 9 Free digital tools for blogging and social media
- Daily happiness planner (printable)
- Social media weekly planner (printable)